Functional Skills English and Maths Subect Lead Teacher
Who are we?
The British Academy of Jewellery is a jewellery school where technical training is not an afterthought. Where technical training is not seen as a hindrance to creativity, but where knowledge acquired by the hands provides inspiration. We aspire to be a school where students do not shy away from originality and creativity, but where the traditional techniques are taught to then be challenged.
We offer a range of government-accredited diplomas, apprenticeships and short courses designed to provide students with thesavoir-faire to design, make and sell jewellery of the highest technical standards. We also work closely with the global industry including the UK's top jewellers, trade and luxury brands in hopes to inspire the next generation of jewellers and equip them with skills needed to innovate and flourish in the industry of today.
We offer a competitive package, flexible working and the opportunity to earn career advancing qualifications. If you are interested, or would like to know more, apply now!
Main purpose of the job:
- Overall management of the English and Maths provision of BAJ (including managing freelance training schedules, reviewing teaching materials, producing timetables, managing assessment/examination days etc.)
- Delivering FS English and Maths up to L1 for the FS provision
- Monitoring GCSE English and Maths of BAJ learners
- Monitoring FS English and Maths up to L2 of BAJ Learners
- IV’ing English and Maths provision (for those students assessed by freelance tutor)
- Conducting examinations (when required)
- Invigilating (when required)
- Supporting BAJ teaching staff with embedding of English and Maths in lessons
- Providing additional session in English and Maths to students who are struggling
- Supporting the Head of Quality with the Academy’s Maths and English strategy (including the development of BAJ strategy for International Learners)
- Teach and assess Functional Skills English / Maths;
- To contribute to the tutorial guidance and support process for students;
- Devise a programme of learning (scheme of work) with appropriate teaching and learning strategies, resources and assessments. Maintain and enhance the quality of the students learning experience on the programme;
- To support the development of shared teaching resources for Functional Skills;
- Prepare an assessment plan for the programme that meets the awarding bodies requirements, keep records of student progress and achievement;
- Maintain attendance registers and update as required;
- Contribute to the effective implementation of Quality;
- Ensure the safety of staff and students in accordance with the Organisation’s Health, Safety and Welfare Policy;
- Carry out all duties with due regard to Health and Safety Regulations;
- To positively promote equality of opportunity for staff and learners;
- To carry out other duties as may reasonably be required from time to time
Behaviour and Safety:
- Ensure the learners abide by health and safety rules by inducting learners and demonstrating the correct use of equipment, keeping health and safety rules in mind;
- Keeping up to date with safeguarding, prevent, declarations are made when required;
- Monitoring equality and diversity ensuring students feel safe in the Academy and receive equal opportunities;
- Be a positive role model of health and safety for the learners, demonstrating consistently a positive attitude, values and behaviour, which are expected of learners.
- Engage in regular standardisation meetings and training to review the quality of the teaching and learning provision in line with the quality strategy;
- Maintain a professional level of subject expertise by being aware of relevant developments in the field in addition to pedagogic developments;
- Undertake continuous personal and professional development for at least 30 hours pro rata.
Essential Skills, Experience and Qualifications for the job include:
- Level 3 or 4 CTLLS or Level 4 Certificate in Education and Training;
- or Level 5 Diploma in Education and Training;
- or Postgraduate/ Professional Graduate Certificate in Education
- or Functional Skills English and Math Level 2 or equivalent GCSE;
- Experience in having deliver lessons;
- Demonstrate high levels of organisational skills;
- Demonstrate ability to be self-directed with initiative and to be able to solve practical problems with limited supervision;
- Demonstrate a creative and imaginative approach to learner-centred delivery;
- Demonstrate a commitment to promoting and safeguarding the welfare of and young person’s and/or vulnerable adults;
- Demonstrate ability to prepare effective written and visual teaching materials in line with course requirement;
- Demonstrate ability to work as part of a team and to develop and sustain good working relationships with internal and external customers;
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to Equality and Diversity and how it affects the workplace/learning environment.
- Possess knowledge of and commitment to Safeguarding, Prevent and British Values.
Desirable Skills, Experience and Qualifications for the job include:
- Degree Qualification;
- Demonstrate a good understanding of adult learning and the training requirements of the industry